Tasks and Duties
- Develops layout and plans sequence of operations for fabricating and assembling structural metal products, applying trigonometry and knowledge of metal.
- Locates and marks bending and cutting lines onto workpiece, allowing for stock thickness and machine and welding shrinkage.
- Hammers, chips, and grinds workpiece to cut, bend, and straighten metal.
- Verifies conformance of workpiece to specifications, using square, ruler, and measuring tape.
- Preheats workpieces to render them malleable, using hand torch or furnace.
- Positions, aligns, fits, and welds together parts, using jigs, welding torch, and hand tools.
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, and drill presses.
- Sets up and operates machine tools associated with fabricating shops, such as radial drill, end mill, and edge planer.
- Designs and constructs templates and fixtures, using hand tools.
This project is supported, in part, by the NationalScience Foundation. Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation.