COSEE logo
OceanCareers.com
World Wide Web
 

OceanCareers.com
c/o MATE Center
Monterey Peninsula College
980 Fremont Street
Monterey, CA 93940
contact OceanCareers.com

 
 

Marine Program


College or University: Boston University

Type of degree: Ph.D.

Brief overview of program: The Boston University Marine Program is a hands-on, research-oriented curriculum in marine biology, with emphasis on marine ecology, molecular ecology, behavioral ecology, sensory biology, ichthyology, and oceanography. BUMP occupies a unique position as a section within Boston Universityís Biology Department, while offering some courses at the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. With over 40 full-time faculty, BU's Biology Department offers broad expertise in research and education by leaders in all major areas of biology. The MBL is internationally known as a center for biological research. BUMP's graduate program offers both a two-year Research Masterís degree and a Ph.D. degree in Biology. Undergraduates spend a semester taking intensive marine biology courses. In addition to undergraduate marine biology concentrators at BU, participants in the Program have come from other colleges and universities around the world. Contact individual faculty members for information about postdoctoral training, research assistantships, and undergraduate research opportunities. Each year, courses and seminars are offered by BUMP resident and visiting faculty in a variety of subjects.

Website: Click here for program website

Student Support: Financial support Information on financial aid and fellowships is available from the Graduate School. Fellowships are ordinarily available only for PhD students. A unique advantage of teaching fellowships (TF) at BUMP is that TF responsibilities can ordinarily be fulfilled with a single, four-week block course per semester, giving students considerable flexibility to schedule field research. Departmental travel grants may be available to assist PhD students in their travel to professional scientific meetings. Students must be presenting papers or posters in order to be eligible for travel funds. Students are also encouraged to apply for external sources of support. If you're planning to start graduate school next year and are a U. S. citizen or permanent resident, you should consider applying for the generous National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship before the deadline in early November. In addition to the forms of support available to all Biology students, there are two fellowships available to BUMP students only: Palmer McLeod Fellowship The University agreed to establish a restricted endowment soley for the benefit of the BU Marine Program and, more particularly, for the purpose of supporting the basic and applied research activities of BUMP in marine science. The Endowment is invested as a separate fund by the University. Each year the University uses 90% of the income for support of graduate research fellowships based upon submitted proposals. The remaining 10% of the income is used for public education on marine issues. The fellowship covers full stipend and tuition for 2 years of support. Arthur G. Humes Alumni Award The Alumni Award was established by the alumni to assist graduate students pursuing their research. It is named for BUMP's founding Director, Arthur G. Humes. Students submit short proposals requesting funds for equipment, supplies or travel and the winner, based upon these proposals and one supporting letter, are selected by alumni who donate toward the award. The award provides alumni donors with an opportunity to continue direct participation in BUMP and its research program. Awards typically range from $500 to $2000.


Program Point of Contact: Sheri Hall

Email: slhall@bu.edu

Department: Marine Program

Institution address: Boston University Marine Program 5 Cummington Street
                             Boston,MA 02215

Phone: 617-353-2432

 


fake rolex
This project is supported, in part, by the NationalScience Foundation.  Opinions expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily the Foundation .